Solutions driven success.
XPO is a top ten global provider of transportation services, with a highly integrated network of people, technology and physical assets. At XPO Logistics, we look for employees who like a challenge and can communicate effectively in all situations. We want to leverage your skills and years of experience to drive positive results while ensuring a bright future for yourself and XPO. If you’re looking for a growth opportunity, join us at XPO.
Pay starts at $22.89
As the Freight Classification Specialist Lead, your attention to the small details and strong work ethic will ensure our operations continue to run smoothly and that our customers receive superior service. You’ll review each shipment transported and provide a continuous systemwide check of the accuracy of commodity descriptions based on the Bill of Lading (BOL) furnished by our customers. If you’re looking for an exciting opportunity with a dynamic company, join us at XPO.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and more.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Review inspection reports to identify potential inspection issues
- Conduct inspections of shipments on the dock utilizing handheld devices
- Review BOL and billing descriptions to verify accuracy
- Gather information related to the shipment, including dimensions, pictures, and commodity characteristics
- Research commodity information using the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) for applicable description and class
- Issue document corrections based on the applicable provisions from the NMFC
- Upload documents/pictures into the image system for review by Account Executives and customers
- Maintain the reports necessary to measure corrections activity and revenue recovery
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you’ll need:
- 4 years of work or military experience
- Ability to explain and document classification corrections for all involved parties
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Ability to effectively navigate the internet using specific keywords for research
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Availability to work a variety of shifts, including days, nights, and weekends
It’d be great if you also have:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of NMFC provisions, including rules and packaging
- Weights and inspections experience
- Less-than-Truckload (LTL) industry knowledge and experience
This job requires the ability to:
- Lift objects of various shapes, sizes and weights (up to 50 lbs. frequently and greater than 50 lbs. occasionally)
- Stand, sit or walk for extended periods of time
- Reach (including above your head), bend, climb, push, pull, twist, squat and kneel
Be part of something big.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment may be required to take and pass a pre-employment drug test.
The above statements are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills for this job classification.
Review XPO's candidate privacy statement here.
Location/Region: Des Moines, IA (50313)